IN BUSINESS FOR 90 YEARS
1926: Flo's Opens
Florence Kimball opens her stand in Blue Point, NY in 1926 and calls it Flo’s Famous Luncheonette. In 1929, local contractor, Albert Theime, put the front on Flo’s stand, the lift-up doors and the counter. Flo’s opens for lunch and stays open into the evening to accommodate the theatre crowd.
1941: Meet & Eat
Flo’s popularity and customers grow throughout the years because of its friendly staff, open atmosphere, excellent food and its quaint size. It’s a place where locals can meet and have a great bite to eat. Today, due to its ever increasing popularity, people from all over the island come to “Meet & Eat” at Flo’s.
1956: Flo’s After Flo
After Mrs. Kimball’s death in 19502, Betty Edmonds takes over Flo’s and eventually buys the stand. She continues to offer great service and food and keeps many of Flo’s menu items like the “Flo’s Special” - Canadian bacon, lettuce & tomato on toast. Today many new menu items have been added, but the “Flo’s Special” is still as popular as ever.
1964: The Palumbo’s
George Palumbo, Jr. purchases Flo’s from his father George Palumbo, Sr. in 1964. Reportedly, Mr. Palumbo purchased his hamburger meat daily at Brandau Meat Market. He hand packed each Flo burger the way Flo would have done 40 years prior. Today, Flo’s continues to “Made to Order” menu items for its customers.
1976: M e l t z e r
in 50 years. George Palumbo, Jr., sold the stand after owning it for 10 years, to Bruce Meltzer. Mr. Meltzer adds fresh seafood to the menu while still keeping all of the traditional Flo’s Favorites.
In 1979, Marion Yablonski buys Flo’s and she, Marianne Jensen, Lyn Yablonski & Bonnie Gardner continue to warmly greet customers the way Flo would have done herself. Even today, it’s the worker’s youthful, vibrant, attentive spirit and warm smiles that make Flo’s a special place to visit.
Dominic Bosco purchases Flo’s and renovates the inside, installs new equipment, repairs and paints the exterior of the stand. Out of all of the changes, the most dramatic change is the new sign “Nick and Flo’s” sitting on-top of the stand. Flo’s tradition of delicious food continues after many physical improvements are made.
2000: New Owner
In 2000, the Vigliotta family purchases Flo’s, adds beautiful landscaping and changes the building’s colors from red and white to blue and white. In 2003, the Vigliotta family restores and replicates Flo’s original sign. The Vigliotta’s wish to preserve Flo’s history and its family-friendly atmosphere for many summers to come.
2013: Flo's On The Go
Flo’s takes its delicious food on the road, from private parties to large venues and events. You can now “Meet & Eat” just about anywhere. If you have an event and want Flo’s delicious food to make it special, book the food truck now. Get more information about the food truck on our website and call us or follow us on Facebook and Instagram @flosfamous #eatatflos
2014: Flo's Patchogue
Flo’s opens a new year round location in Patchogue. While providing modern amenities, climate controlled indoor seating, an expanded menu and beer and wine selections, Flo’s Patchogue continues to feature all of its traditional menu items that have made it famous for over 90 years. Come visit us at our new, clean, family friendly location at 225 W. Main Street, under the Briarcliffe College clock tower, where there is always free and ample parking.